Show Me Tell Me Questions 2015 DVSA/DVLA
When you head out of the driving test centre waiting room towards your car, the examiner will conduct and eye sight test and when you arrive at your car, the examiner will ask you the Show Me Tell Me questions. The DVSA / DVLA practical driving test Show Me Tell Me questions were originally introduced in September 2003 and the new 2015 version now consist of 19 car safety and maintenance questions to ensure that you have a basic knowledge of keeping your car legal and safe. Listed below are the frequent questions by learner drivers asked about the Show Me Tell Me questions, a printable version , plus the actual Show Me Tell Me questions and answers used by the examiners.
How many Show Me Tell Me questions
The examiner will ask you two of the possible 19 questions. One of the questions will be a ‘Show Me’ and the other a ‘Tell Me’.
Can you fail the driving test for Show Me Tell Me questions
No you cannot fail the driving test for getting the Show Me Tell Me answer incorrect. Whether you answer them incorrectly or fail to answer them at all, you will not fail the test. If you answer one or even both of the Show Me Tell Me questions incorrect, you will incur only one minor from a possible 15. 16 minors or more on the driving test counts as a fail or 3 minors within the same category for example, three minors due to inappropriate use of indicators will count as a serious fault.
One or more serious or dangerous fault will result in a failure. Most driving tests are failed due to serious faults and not exceeding the 15 minors allowed, so if you get the Show Me Tell Me questions by answering incorrectly, simply forget about it and concentrate on the driving part of the test that will follow directly after the Show Me Tell Me questions and answers.
Show Me Tell Me combinations
Driving examiners ask test candidates the Show Me Tell Me questions in combinations. There are 13 possible combinations that are on offer to the examiners from the possible 19 questions. Each combination will have one Show Me and one Tell Me question.
So for Example Show Me question number 10 ‘Show me how you would check that the direction indicators are working correctly’ will be combined with the Tell Me question ‘Tell me how you would check that the brakes are working before starting a journey’. Don’t worry about all the possible combinations (which is why we’re not listing them), just ensure you know all 19 questions and answers and you will be fine. Once you have taken a look through the questions and answers, test yourself with the Show Me Tell Me quiz.
Show Me Tell Me questions and answers for the 2015 practical driving test
Listed below are all 19 possible questions along with answers.
Show Me Tell Me driving test question 1
- Question. Open the bonnet, identify where you would check the engine coolant level and tell me how you would check the engine has the correct level.
- Answer. Identify the engine coolant tank and check the minimum and maximum level indicator displayed on the side of the tank. If the coolant is below the minimum mark, more coolant (water) will need to be added. To do this, unscrew the tank cap when the engine is cold and pour in coolant until the maximum mark is reached.
- Further information. See what is engine coolant for a run down on how engine coolant / antifreeze works, how it benefits your engine and how to check engine coolant levels.
Show Me Tell Me driving test question 2
- Question. Open the car bonnet, identify where the brake fluid reservoir tank is and tell me how you would check that you have a safe level of hydraulic brake fluid.
- Answer. Identify the hydraulic brake fluid reservoir tank and check the brake fluid level against the minimum / maximum level indicator.
Show Me Tell Me driving test question 3
- Question. Show me/explain how you would check that the power assisted steering is working before starting a journey.
- Answer. If the steering becomes heavy, the power assisted steering may be faulty. Before starting a journey two simple checks can be made:
1) Gentle pressure on the steering wheel, maintained whilst the engine is started, should result in slight but noticeable movement as the system begins to operate.
2) Turning the steering wheel just after moving off will give an immediate indication that the power assisted steering is functioning correctly.
Steering should be very easy as the car begins to move off if all is working as it should
Show Me Tell Me driving test question 4
- Question. Open the bonnet, identify where you would check the engine oil level and tell me how you would check that the engine has sufficient oil.
- Answer. Identify the dipstick, remove the dipstick and wipe clean the end where the minimum and maximum level indicator is and fully reinsert. Remove once again and check the oil level against the minimum and maximum markings.
- Further information. See how to check engine oil for a complete in-depth guide on checking your car’s engine oil and topping up.
Show Me Tell Me driving test question 5
- Question. Open the bonnet, identify where the windscreen washer reservoir is and tell me how you check the level?
- Answer. Identify reservoir tank, lift off cap and make a visual check of level as there are no external markings on windscreen washer reservoirs. Check reservoir regularly.
Show Me Tell Me driving test question 6
- Question. Show me how you would check that the horn is working (off road only).
- Answer. Press the horn and listen (turn on ignition if necessary).
Show Me Tell Me driving test question 7
- Question. Show me how you would check that the brake lights are working on the car (examiner can help).
- Answer. Whilst pressing the brake pedal, make use of reflections in windows, garage doors, etc. Or ask someone to help (the examiner). (may need to switch ignition on, prompt not to start engine)
Show Me Tell Me driving test question 8
- Question. Tell me how you would check that the brakes are working before starting a journey.
- Answer. Just as you move off operate brakes. They should not feel spongy and the car should not pull to one side.
Show Me Tell Me driving test question 9
- Question. Tell me how you would check that the headlights and tail lights are working.
- Answer.Turn on the ignition and then the lights. I would then walk around the car (view from pavement if on roadside) to check both front and rear tail lights are working correctly.
Show Me Tell Me driving test question 10
- Question. Show me how you would check that the direction indicators are working correctly.
- Answer. Activate the indicators or hazard warning lights and walk around the car to see if all the indicators are working correctly. Operating the hazard warning lights is the preferred method as the ignition will not need to be switched on.
Show Me Tell Me driving test question 11
- Question. Tell me where you would find the information for the recommended tyre pressures for this car and how tyre pressures should be checked.
- Answer. Information will be found using the car manufacturer’s guide/manual. Check the tyre pressures by using a reliable pressure gauge when the tyres are cold. Don’t forget the spare tyre and remember to refit the valve caps.
Show Me Tell Me driving test question 12
- Question. Show me how you would check the hand (parking) brake for excessive wear.
- Answer. Firmly apply the foot brake to secure the car and apply the parking brake. When it is fully applied it should secure itself and not be at the end of its working travel. (Should be tension whilst lifting as the cable connecting the brakes to the lever tighten.)
Show Me Tell Me driving test question 13
- Question. Tell me how you make sure your head restraint is correctly adjusted so it provides the best protection in the event of a crash.
- Answer. The head restraint should be adjusted so the centre part of the head restraint is at least as high as the eye or top of the ears, and as close to the back of the head as is comfortable. Note; some restraints might not be adjustable.
Show Me Tell Me driving test question 14
- Question. Tell me how you would check the tyres to show that they have sufficient tread depth and that their general condition is safe to use on the road.
- Answer. A safe tyre will have no cuts or bulges on the sides. Legally, the tread depth must be at least 1.6mm across the central ¾ of the breadth of the tyre and around the entire outer circumference and can be measured using a tread depth gauge.
Show Me Tell Me driving test question 15
- Question. Show me how you would clean the windscreen using the windscreen washer and wipers.
- Answer. Operate control and hold for approximately 3 seconds to wash and wipe windscreen (turn ignition on if necessary). If asked this question on a driving test, ensure your windscreen is left clean after the initial clean. Sometimes 2 or 3 cleans are necessary.
Show Me Tell Me driving test question 16
- Question. Show me how you would set the demister controls to clear all the windows effectively, this should include both front and rear screens.
- Answer. Set all relevant controls including; fan, temperature, air direction / source and heated screen to clear windscreen and windows. Engine does not have to be started for this demonstration.
Show Me Tell Me driving test question 17
- Question. Tell me how you would know if there was a problem with your anti-lock braking system.
- Answer. Warning light should illuminate on dashboard if there is a fault with the anti-lock braking system.
Show Me Tell Me driving test question 18
- Question. Show me how you switch your headlight from dipped to main beam and explain how you would know the main beam is on whilst inside the car.
- Answer. Operate switch (with ignition or engine on if necessary), check with main beam warning light
Show Me Tell Me driving test question 19
- Question. Show me how you would switch on the rear fog light(s) and explain when you would use it/them. (No need to exit vehicle).
- Answer. Operate switch (turn on dipped headlights and ignition if necessary). Check warning light is on. Explain that fog lights must only be used in foggy, low visibility conditions and must be turned off when fog disperses.
Show Me Tell Me Tips for the driving test
The DVLA / DVSA 2015 Show Me Tell Me driving test questions are designed to show the examiner that you have a basic knowledge of your cars safety and legal requirements. Provided are some tips on understanding the Show Me Tell Me questions and answers.
Tyre wear indicator
Show Me Tell Me answer 14 explains there should be a minimum of 1.6mm of tyre tread depth to remain safe and legal whilst driving. The picture above shows the tread depth has not yet reached the tyre wear indicators. Keep a check on the tyre wear indicators. If the tyre tread depth gets close to these indicators, it’s time for a tyre change.
Engine coolant reservoir
Show Me Tell Me answer 1 explains you should Identify the engine coolant tank and to check the minimum and maximum level indicator. Each make of car will have a different looking coolant tank but will look similar to the one above. Minimum and maximum level markers should be indicated on the tank. Allowing the coolant level to fall below the minimum for long periods can cause overheating and damage your car.
Car dipstick for checking engine oil
Regular checks of engine oil level is essential. Show Me Tell Me answer is to locate the dipstick which will look very similar to the picture above. Check the minimum and maximum level indicators for your dipstick and not letting the engine oil fall too close the minimum. Allowing the oil to fall under the minimum level can result in engine damage. When putting more oil into the engine, pour in small amounts at a time whilst frequently checking the dipstick to ensure you do not overfill with oil.
Windscreen washer reservoir
Checking your windscreen washer reservoir and keeping it full is important as suggested in Show Me Tell Me answer 5. It’s surprisingly easy to forget about this and the last thing you need is to be driving on a motorway with your windscreen getting increasingly muddy with no means to clean it.
Test yourself with the show me tell me quiz
Once you have gotten the hang of all the Show and Tell questions and answers, test yourself and head on over to the:
Printable Show Me Tell Me questions
Print the DVSA / DVLA 2015 Show Me Tell Me driving test questions. Download the PDF version of the: